Filmmaker named to “100 Most Powerful Arabs Under 40” list
April 19, 2015
Filmmaker Mahmoud Kaabour was honored to be named to the “100 Most Powerful Arabs Under 40” list.
Published by Arabian Business, this is their guide to the most influential young Arabs in the world. Kaabour is recognized for his ground-breaking titles such as “Being Osama,” “Grandma, a Thousand Times,” and “Champ of the Camp.” He is also recognized for his work as founder of Veritas Films, based in Dubai, which specializes in corporate films and creative documentaries.
Read more at: "100 Most Powerful Arabs Under 40"
Champ of the Camp
Filmmaker wins 2014 Humanitarian Award by Esquire
December 4, 2014
In a lavish ceremony at Madinat Jumeirah, Esquire magazine held its annual awards ceremony to honor “the men who shape the region.” The 2014 Humanitarian Award went to filmmaker Mahmoud Kaabour in recognition of his work on documentary film “Champ of the Camp.”
Watch the trailer:
Current and upcoming screenings of "Champ of the Camp" include:
- Across the MIDDLE EAST (UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia): now showing on iTunes.
- QATAR, Museum of Islamic Art, Doha. May 28 and May 29 7pm. Hosted by the Doha Film Institute – buy your tickets here.
- USA, the Workers Unite Film Festival, New York City. May 7-27 2015.
- In the AIR: Now showing on Lufthansa.
- Coming soon on iTunes across the Middle East region in May 2015.
- Coming soon on Emirates Airlines in June 2015.
Emirates Airlines has licensed our dynamic and visually vibrant documentary about the "Artists in Residence" program
Emirates Airlines has licensed our dynamic and visually vibrant documentary about the "Artists in Residence" program held annually in Al Fahidi Cultural Neighborhood in the lead-up to Art Dubai and Sikka Art Fair. This is expected to bring excellent exposure to Dubai’s budding art scene, and specifically the residency itself.
The film was commissioned by Tashkeel
in 2013. It was filmed over four months, starting in the international
artists' home cities and concluding at Art Dubai.
The film can also be viewed in full here:
Teta, Alf Marra
Encore screening on top UAE TV channel
Just in case you missed it as it toured 55 festivals, or opened Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Arts in Doha, when it ran in theatres in Beirut, NYC, LA, Dubai and Abu Dhabi or as it was hailed by the press worldwide as one of the finest documentary offerings ever from the Arab world:
Mahmoud Kaabour's "Teta, Alf Marra" (Grandma, a Thousand Times) will be televised again on DUBAI ONE
Sat 5th of April at 21:00 Dubai time | 17:00 GMT
A New York Times "Critic’s Pick” and an official qualifier at the 2011 Academy awards, "Teta, Alf Marra" (Grandma, a Thousand Times) is a poetic documentary that celebrates the many worlds of Kaabour's feisty grandmother, braving themes of family, music, and love in a breath-taking visual style that was championed at film festivals worldwide by juries and audiences alike.
View Trailer on Youtube.
In its world premiere, “Kismet” was nominated and short-listed for the IDFA Best Mid-Length Documentary Award 2013, and it has kept up the momentum since.
"Kismet," the analytical documentary about the soft power exercised by Turkish soap operas, had a strong world premiere at the International Documentary Festival of Amsterdam in November 2013. It competed and made the short-list in IDFA’s Best Mid-Length Documentary category.
It is keeping a strong momentum on the festival circuit, showing at the following festivals:
- Vera Festival - Finland
- TempoFestival - Sweden
- Planete Doc - Poland
- One World Film Festival - Czech Republic
- International Women’s Film Festival in Seoul (IWFFIS) – Korea
- Istanbul Film Festival – Turkey
- Movies that Matter - The Netherlands
- Sofia International Film Festival – Bulgaria
- Arabian Film Days Films From The South – Norway
- Thessaloniki Documentary festival - Greece
- Endeavours Documentary Festival – Singapore
- Cinemazero Cultural association - Italy
- One World Festival - Slovakia
- Ismailia Film Festival - Egypt
Veritas Films co-produced the film in its UAE section which features scenes and characters in Abu Dhabi and Ras al Khaimah. The film is directed by Nina-Maria Paschalidou and produced by Forest Troop and Anemon Productions, in co-production with Al Jazeera and ARTE, in association with SVT, Knowledge Network, YLE, RTS, Channel 8, BTV, MRT and CYBC and with the support of the Media Programme of the EU, the Croatian and Bulgarian Film Centres.
Watch the trailer here.